Setting up your pocket bike for the first time! What you need to know before you get your bike and how to do it!
What type of gas should I use?
Regular unleaded gasoline works just fine, however we recommend to use unleaded premium gasoline for best performance and a healthier bike. DO NOT USE DIESEL FUEL IN BIKE!
What is the mixing ratio of gas and oil?
Since this is a 2-stroke engine, you will need to mix oil and gas together. In your package, you have received a mixing bottle. Please see image1. Pour gasoline first, and oil second! Use red arrow to determine which line to fill the gas up to; and use yellow arrow to determine which line to fill oil up to. Take note: You are putting in 25x more gasoline than oil.
What type of oil is recommended for this bike?
Please use 2-Stroke Motorcycle or Lawnmower Oil ONLY! This can be found at your local Walmart or superstore of your choice.
How do I properly start the bike for the first time?
If this is the first time you are starting the bike:
- Mix oil and gas at a 25:1 ratio using the mixing bottle provided with the bike. Refer to “What is the mixing ratio of gas and oil?” section for proper mixing ratio!
- Stand the bike upright; you should be sitting on the bike. The pull start cord is on your right side.
- Turn the gas valve in the vertical position opening the gas to the bike (as shown in image2 with yellow arrow, the gas valve in the UP position).
- Wait 3-4 minutes, while sometimes rocking the bike back and forth to allow the gas to flow through the fuel lines for the first time.
- Put the choke lever in the closed position (as shown in image2 with red arrow, the lever in the UP position).
- Pull the start cord out slowly until it reaches its maximum distance, allowing the gas to flow into the bike. Repeat 2 times.
- On the 3rd attempt, pull the cord quickly with the intention of turning the bike on. This may take a few attempts as the bike is being turned on for the first time.
- Once the bike is on, let it warm up for about 1 minute.
- Once bike is warm, pull the choke lever in the open position (as shown in image3 with red arrow, the lever in the DOWN position).
- The bike is now ready to ride. Enjoy!
In certain weather conditions, you may put the choke lever in the middle or lower position to help make it easier to start.
Starting may require several tries when the bike is still new. After break-in, the bike will start up with only one or two pull procedures.
It may help to give the bike a little twist of the throttle on the 3rd quick pull if the bike is hard to start.
If this is not the first time starting the bike, open the gas valve in the vertical position (as shown in image2 with yellow arrow), allowing the gas to flow through the bike, then:
- If the bike is still warm: put the choke lever in the open position (as shown in image3 with the red arrow, the lever in the DOWN position) and turn the bike on as you usually would with the pull start.
- If the bike is cold (hasn’t been turned on for a few hours or more): Put the choke lever in the closed position (as shown in image2 with the red arrow, the lever in the UP position). 2. Follow steps 7-9 above. Enjoy!
How to turn off the bike properly after each ride?
Once you are done riding the bike and plan to turn it off, turn the gas valve in the horizontal position, closing the gas to the bike (as shown in image4 with the yellow arrow, the gas valve in the HORIZONTAL position). This stops the gas from flowing around the bike, which in turn prevents the carburetor from flooding in the future.
If you would like to go the extra mile and have your bike last longer than normal for future use:
- When done riding the bike, do not turn off!
- Turn the gas valve in the horizontal position (as shown in image4 with the yellow arrow)
- Let the bike sit for a few minutes while it empties all the excess gas.
- The bike will turn off on its own, cleaning the excess gas left in the fuel lines.
To turn the bike back on, view “If this is not the first time starting the bike…” section.
This is my first time starting my mini dirtbike. It cuts off when i start it up, should i fill it up all the way or leave it at half?