How to Choose the Best Gear for Riding a 125cc Street Legal Motorcycle
Riding a 125cc street-legal motorcycle can be an exhilarating experience, whether you're commuting in the city or exploring scenic routes. With the growing popularity of biking and adventure, many people are investing in bikes more than other vehicles. However, safety should always be a top priority. Investing in the right gear is essential for protecting yourself on the road. This blog will help you know the process of choosing the best gear for riding a 125cc street-legal motorcycle, ensuring your safety and enhancing your riding experience.
Why are Motorcycle Gears Important?
Riding a motorcycle, especially a 125cc street-legal motorcycle, exposes you to various risks on the road. Therefore, having the right gear is vital for your safety and overall riding experience. Here are a few reasons why motorcycle gears are crucial:
- Protection: Motorcycle gears are designed to provide protection in the event of a crash or fall. They act as a barrier between your body and the road, minimizing the risk of abrasions, burns, or more severe injuries. The gear's impact-resistant materials, such as leather or reinforced textile, can absorb and distribute energy, reducing the force exerted on your body.
- Weather Conditions: Gears also play a significant role in protecting you from weather elements. Riding a motorcycle exposes you to wind, rain, and extreme temperatures. Proper gear, such as a waterproof jacket, insulated gloves, and pants, can keep you dry, warm, and comfortable, ensuring your focus remains on the road.
- Visibility: Motorcycle gears often come with reflective elements, enhancing your visibility to other road users, especially during low-light conditions. A brightly colored helmet or jacket with reflective strips can make you more noticeable, reducing the chances of accidents caused by other drivers not seeing you.
- Increased Confidence: Wearing appropriate gear instills a sense of confidence in your riding abilities. Knowing that you are well-protected allows you to concentrate on enjoying the ride without worrying about potential hazards. This confidence translates into better decision-making and overall riding performance.
Choosing Quality for Safety
When it comes to selecting motorcycle gear for your 125cc street-legal motorcycle, prioritizing safety should be your top concern. Here are some key factors to consider while choosing high-quality gear:
- Certified Safety Standards: Look for gear that meets industry safety standards, such as DOT (Department of Transportation), ECE (Economic Commission for Europe), or Snell certification. These certifications ensure that the gear has undergone rigorous testing and meets specific safety requirements.
- Fit and Comfort: Proper fit is crucial for both safety and comfort. Ill-fitting gear can restrict your movement, impede your ability to control the motorcycle and compromise the gear's protective qualities. Try different sizes and styles to find the best gear that fits your body shape and riding style. Remember, comfort plays a significant role in your overall riding experience.
- Material Quality: Pay attention to the quality of materials used to construct the gear. Leather and reinforced textiles like Cordura offer excellent abrasion resistance and durability. Check for double stitching and reinforced impact areas for added protection.
- Protective Features: Look for gear with built-in safety features, such as CE-approved armor for shoulders, elbows, and knees. These protectors absorb and distribute the impact force, reducing the risk of injury. Additionally, gear with reflective elements and strategically placed ventilation panels can enhance safety and comfort during your rides.
- Brand Reputation: Research the reputation of the brand before purchasing gear. Look for reviews, customer feedback, and ratings to ensure the brand has a track record of producing reliable, high-quality gear.
Gears to Get for Riding 125cc Street Legal Motorcycle
A helmet is the most critical piece of gear for any motorcycle rider, and it's no different when riding a 125cc street-legal motorcycle. When choosing a helmet, consider safety standards, fit and comfort, visor quality, and helmet type. Look for helmets that meet safety standards, such as DOT or ECE certification, ensuring they have undergone rigorous testing for impact resistance. Finding a helmet that fits snugly on your head without being too tight or loose is essential, providing a comfortable and secure fit. Opt for a helmet with a high-quality visor that offers clear visibility, UV protection, and features like anti-fog coatings or built-in sunshades.
Jacket and Gloves
A riding jacket and gloves protect your upper body and hands while riding. When selecting a jacket, consider material durability, armor and padding, fit and comfort, and ventilation options. Leather jackets offer excellent protection but may be less suitable for warmer climates, while textile jackets provide versatility with options for waterproofing and ventilation. Look for jackets with built-in armor or pockets for removable shoulders, elbows, and back armor. Ensure the armor meets safety standards and provides impact resistance. Gloves should provide a secure grip, protection, and comfort. Features like reinforced palms, knuckle armor, and wrist closures are important considerations when choosing gloves.
Proper footwear is crucial for foot and ankle protection and provides a stable grip on the motorcycle's footpegs. When selecting riding boots, consider material durability, fit and comfort, and features such as non-slip soles. Opt for boots made of sturdy leather or synthetic materials with reinforced ankle and toe areas. Look for a secure and comfortable fit with enough room for toe movement. Boots with non-slip soles grip various surfaces, ensuring stability while riding.
In addition to the essential gears, additional accessories can enhance your riding experience and safety. Consider riding pants made of durable materials with built-in knee and hip armor for added protection. Enhance your visibility on the road by adding reflective gear such as vests, straps, or decals. Reflective accessories significantly improve visibility, especially during nighttime riding. Communication systems can also be valuable accessories, allowing you to stay connected with other riders or receive calls and navigation prompts without compromising safety or concentration. Additionally, carrying lightweight and waterproof rain gear, including rain jackets, pants, and boot covers, can keep you dry and comfortable during wet rides.
Don’t Forget the Insurance
When it comes to riding a 125cc street-legal motorcycle, don't forget the importance of insurance. Motorcycle insurance provides financial protection in case of an accident, theft, or damage to your bike. Here are a few key points to consider regarding insurance:
- Liability Coverage: Liability coverage is typically the minimum requirement for motorcycle insurance. It covers bodily injury and property damage if you're found at fault in an accident. Having adequate liability coverage is crucial to protect yourself financially in case of an unfortunate incident.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Comprehensive coverage provides protection against non-accident-related incidents such as theft, vandalism, fire, or weather damage. This coverage can be particularly important for your 125cc street-legal motorcycle, as it offers financial support in case of theft or damage that may occur when parked or stored.
- Collision Coverage: Collision coverage covers the cost of repairing or replacing your motorcycle in the event of an accident, regardless of fault. It's especially valuable for protecting your investment in a 125cc street-legal motorcycle, as repairs or replacement can be costly.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: This coverage protects you if you're involved in an accident with a driver without insurance or insufficient coverage. It ensures you're not left responsible for medical expenses or damages caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP coverage covers medical expenses for injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident, regardless of fault. It can help cover medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and lost wages.
To Wrap Up
Choosing the right gear and investing in proper insurance are both crucial aspects of riding a 125cc street-legal motorcycle responsibly. While gear ensures your safety on the road, insurance provides financial protection in case of accidents, theft, or damage. By prioritizing both, you can enjoy the thrill of riding while having peace of mind.
Remember, safety and responsible riding go hand in hand. Equip yourself with the best gear, choose the right insurance coverage, and enjoy your adventures on a 125cc street-legal motorcycle with confidence and peace of mind.
If you're considering purchasing a 125cc street-legal motorcycle, buy online at Belmonte Bikes. We provide high-quality bikes for various riding needs. Visit our website or contact us to explore our range of 125cc street-legal motorcycles and find the perfect fit for your riding preferences now. Stay safe and ride responsibly with Belmonte Bike!